Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Quitting Shampoo

On Sunday evening this week, I was browsing over my Pinterest homepage, and it led me through a couple blogs, where I ended up finding information on how to go shampoo-free.  Yes, that's right. No shampoo, no conditioner.  Yes, I still wash my hair. No, it doesn't smell.

Today is Day 3 of no shampoo.  On day 1, I didn't use the vinegar rinse. My hair felt clean, but a bit heavy, kinda oily (although it didn't look oily at all), and a lot stiff.  Yesterday, Day 2, I used the vinegar rinse, but I didn't leave it in long enough.  My hair felt a bit less heavy, but still pretty stiff.  Today I used a little more of the rinse and scrubbed a little harder. Hair's not dry yet, but the ends feel softer and it feels a bit cleaner.

So how does this work?  I found the bulk of my information here and here. Basically, you wash with a mix of baking soda and water, and "condition" with diluted apple cider vinegar.  There is a transition period to this method, and some people swear by just weaning off the shampoo slowly - but I never claimed to be patient.

So, Day 3 awaits.  Another update in a few days, but I'm optimistic. I might go pick up some essential oil to add to the vinegar mixture to mask the smell. It doesn't stick around once the hair is dry, but it's there.

Next week, I'll be testing out nixing my trusty Secret in favor of plain rubbing alcohol. A girl can only take so much change in a week, but it feels good to be getting rid of some of these chemicals from my daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment